This is a simple version of an ancient game played all over the
world. It is also called Mancala.
This is a game for two players.
You will need a game board like the one below. You could easily
draw one or you can use an egg carton.
You will also need 48 counters (or beads, pebbles or buttons).
- Each player takes a side of six holes on the board.
- Put 4 counters in each hole.
- Player 1 picks up the whole pile of counters from one of
his/her own holes and puts them one by one into the next several
holes, in a clockwise direction around the board. (This may take
you around into the other player's side of the board).
- Player 2 does the same sort of thing with a pile from his/her
- If a player puts the last counter from a pile into one of the
other player's holes, and brings the total there to either 2 or 3,
he/she wins those counters and takes them from the board.
- Play continues in this way until one side of the board is
- The winner is the player who has won the most counters.
What tactics will increase your chances of winning?