This can be done well on paper with a ruler and coloured pens, but
it's a lot of fun to get busy with a hammer, nails and string if
You will need:
- A large sheet of paper
- A piece of wood
- 16 nails
- String or wool
What to do:
- Cut out a large circle of paper - tracing around a small plate
- Mark off 16 equally spaced points around the circle by folding
it half, half again, half again, and half again. Open it up then
mark the places clearly with a pen.
- Smooth out the paper and tape it to a piece of wood.
- Carefully hammer in 16 nails, one on each point around the
circle (Watch your fingers!)
- Tie some string or wool to one of the nails. Choose the space
you are going to leave between looping the string around a nail.
Continue around until you return to the start.
For example, the pattern below was made by linking every third
- Try out different designs. If you find one you really like; you
could paint the wood and use coloured string to make a wall
You might like to try the problem