Measure Theory: Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Ask NRICH » Higher Dimension » Measure Theory: « Previous Next »

LpSm2126
New poster

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, 02 April, 2014 - 01:04 pm:   

If [inline]f: X \to \mathbb{R}[/inline] is an arbitrary function and [inline]\Sigma = \sigma([x\in X | f(x) > a ])[/inline], (should be set brackets - can't seem to get them to show), show that if [inline]g:\mathbb{R} \to \mathbb{R}[/inline] is bounded and [inline]\Sigma[/inline]-measurable then there is a Borel-measurable [inline]G[/inline] such that [inline]g=G \circ f[/inline]. The hint is to use the monotone class theorem, but I can't seem to get started. It's not clear to me what I'm supposed to show using the monotone class theorem, or what the vector space H is in the statement (here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monotone_class_theorem). If someone could just point me in the right direction, that'd be great.

Thanks.
Dominic Yeo
Veteran poster

Post Number: 419
Posted on Sunday, 13 April, 2014 - 11:07 pm:   

Is there a class of functions g for which the result is easier to show (perhaps by definition)? These could be defined independently or by making relation to f and [inline]\Sigma[/inline]. Then you might be able to write some general g as a suitable monotone limit of the g's you can deal with, and use the monotone class theorem.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration