Copyright © University of Cambridge. All rights reserved.
'Perimeter Possibilities' printed from http://nrich.maths.org/
Watch the video below.
How many other possible perimeters can you find, for a rectangle with an area of $24cm^2$?
Now watch the video to see what Alison and Charlie did next.
Here are some questions you might like to consider:
- What other odd number perimeters can you make, if the area is $24$cm$^2$?
- What is the smallest perimeter you can make, if the area is $24$cm$^2$? What about the largest perimeter?
- Which perimeters in between is it possible to make?
Take a look at Can They Be Equal?
- Is it possible to make a rectangle with a fractional perimeter but a whole number area?
- Is it possible to make a rectangle with a whole number perimeter but a fractional area?
to explore rectangles where the area is numerically equal to the perimeter.