This challenge is a game for two players. Choose two numbers from the grid and multiply or divide, then mark your answer on the number line. Can you get four in a row before your partner?
This activity challenges you to decide on the 'best' number to
use in each of the following statements.
You may like to talk to someone else about what you're
thinking. You may need to do some estimating, some
calculating and some research.
Please send us your solutions and don't forget to explain how you
arrived at your conclusions.
1) There are roughly 10 million/500 million/1000 million domestic
cats in the world.
2) On average cats weigh 1.5/4.5/8 kg.
3) Domestic cats sleep on average 8-9/13-14/18-19 hours a
4) There are roughly 400 million/600 million/800 million domestic
dogs in the world.
5) The average life of a dog is 10-14/14-18/18-20 years.
6) Dolphins live in groups called pods or schools of up to
7) Adult elephants need to drink about 100/200/400 litres of water
8) A giraffe's neck is about 120/170/220 cm long.
9) A giraffe's tail hair is 2/5/10 times as thick as the
average human hair.
10) An average male lion weighs 180/250/330 kg.
11) A lion's roar can be heard 8/12/16 kms away.
12) Lions rest for 10/15/20 hours a day on average.