Children...you might like to:
- Complete the silhouettes of the workmen who had been called
'The Los Amigos' by Leone and Leo...
- Decide which silhouette is Chi Wing's, Wai Ping's and Wah
- Search the Internet for details about the start of the New Year
- the year of the Snake. Research the different dynasties - how
many have there been? How long did each last?
- Try to find out more about Chinese numbers - how they are
written and what they are called.
Parents you might like to:
- Find out about Tsao Wang, the Kitchen God and what relevance
this has for the Chinese community.
- Find out how local communities are celebrating the Year of the
Snake. Explain the phrase "...what is the betting..." and try to
build up the idea of what could represent a safe bet or risky bet
or those in between.
- Help decide on when the new millennium did actually start.
Teachers you might like to:
- Explore how the Chinese write and say their larger numbers as
well as use them arithmetically.
- Consider the different ways the silhouettes could be assigned
to the three workmen? To all those who work at Grandma T's?
- Rehearse the arguments used for deciding when the Western
millennium actually began.
- Consider which dynasties occurred in which millennia and what
they are renowned for.
- Build up the vocabulary of things singular/ things plural, for
example, millennium/ millennia; cactus/ cacti; etc. Or consider how
some nouns change to become adjectives - millennium/ millennial;