Copyright © University of Cambridge. All rights reserved.
'Money Line-up' printed from http://nrich.maths.org/
This is a game for two players. It would be good to use your own currency for this game, but we will explain the rules using dollars.
You will need:
- a copy of the board (or you could draw out a five by five grid)
- one 50c coin, four 25c coins and seven 10c coins for each player
How to play:
1. Decide who will go first.
2. Players take turns to put one coin on one of the squares.
3. The winner is the first to make a row (horizontally, vertically or diagonally) of four coins which add to one dollar.
Do you think it is better to go first or second?
Can you find some good ways to try to win the game?